Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Toast to a Good Dog



Those that know me well, know that I place dogs above most humans in terms of my respect [Dogs]. A good friend recently lost his best friend, and I was at a loss for words on how to console him. Consoling isn't something guys like to do over the phone or via text, especially when it involves the loss of a dog. There is nothing that helps better than a fire, a stiff drink, and re-telling of old hunting stories that each has heard over a dozen times.

Yet, when you have hunted over another person's dog, you share more than the hunt. You get to watch how they react as kindred spirits; the hunt is but a small part of how the two behave together. So I felt that the story telling we all share needed something more. After much time spent searching online for an appropriate toast in which to bemoan the loss of a best friend, I was at a loss.

So, I decided to write my own. Please feel free to share and use as needed:

To bird dogs old and new
and the good ones, which are so few
Tonight we raise our glasses,
in remembrance of hunts in tall grasses
May you meet birds flying far and wide
yet, know it means nothing without you by my side
I can't wait to see you again, my friend
so we can get a few more birds 'round the next trail's bend


Dogs truly make everyone around them better people just because of their very nature. They love everyone that even shows them the littlest bit of kindness; whether it be a treat, a pat on the head, or the squeal of excitement a kid lets out when a dog comes running up to lick them. There is no lack of love in a dog’s heart, and though they live far too short of lives, they can teach us so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment